The next event in Pago’s Summer Sommelier series is heading your way on Sunday, May 18th. The meal begins at 6pm and is priced unreasonably cheap: food is $35 and wine is $30 (tax and 20% gratuity not included). For more information on why these events are unmissable see our coverage of the last event featuring Santa Giustina wines.
May 18th’s dinner focuses on the wines of Quinta do Romeu, which dates back to 1874 when Ciemente Guimarães Menéres had the vision for his family to produce some of Portugal’s greatest wines and olive oil. The family resides in the district of Bragança (in the northeast side of Portugal), and has scattered vineyards and olive groves throughout the area as well just south in the Douro wine region. Their utter commitment to the harmony of their project is truly spectacular, as they seek balance between their crops, the environment, their people, and their economy, being ‘aware of the feet on the ground and the divine in heaven.’ Certified organic (since 1997) in their entire production (about 25 hectares of grapes, and 120 hectares of olives); conscious and practicing the benefits of zero additives to wine and minimal additions of sulfur; avoiding all international varietals and only focusing on the local indigenous grapes (typically 75% Tourgia Nacional because of its intense floral component from their shale and granite soils); Romeu is making some of the cleanest and most beautiful dry reds that we have found in Portugal (Bon Vivant Imports).
The menu for the evening is as follows:
* Esparragos + Jamon Serrano wrapped aspargus, citrus confit
* Font I Jordana, Cava + Penedes (3oz)
* Ajo Blanco + almond and garlic chilled soup, grapes, snap peas
* Quinto do Romeu, Rosado 2012 + Tinta Roriz, Tinta Cão, Douro, Portugal (3oz)
* Calcot’s + tempura Spring onions, romesco sauce
* Quinto do Romeu, Moinho do Gato 2011 + Tinto Barroca, Tinta Roriz, Touriga Franca, Touriga Nacional, Douro, Portugal (3oz)
* Salmón + wood grilled Wild Salmon, mole rojo, peanuts jicama, cilantro, pickled red onion slaw, creme fraiche
* Quinto do Romeu, Tinto 2010+ Touriga Nacional ++, Douro, Portugal (3oz)
* Pato + wood grilled ducketta, patatas bravas
* Quinto do Romeu, Reserva 2010 + Touriga Nacional, Souzão, Touriga Franca, Douro, Portugal (3oz)
RSVP’s can be made by emailing Scott Evans via email@example.com – be quick, this will be a sell out.